How People Are Trying To Improve Their Sleep In 2023
January 17, 2023
Lots of us aren’t getting the quality or amount of sleep we want and need, according to new research.
- Americans get an average of six hours of sleep a night, and only wake up feeling well-rested three days a week, the survey reveals.
- People are planning to improve their sleep this year by following a regular sleep schedule, going to bed earlier and adding vitamins and minerals to their nightly routine.
- Source: SWNS Digital
Do you wake up feeling more tired than when you fell asleep? You’re in good company, as new research finds the average American only wakes up feeling well-rested three mornings a week. And as a result, many of us aren’t getting the quality or amount of sleep we want and need.
According to a new survey of 2-thousand adults:
- The average person only gets six hours of sleep a night, but many have a goal of getting eight or more in the new year (58%).
- A lot of people also struggle with winding down before bed, especially parents who report having trouble with it most days of the week (34%).
- But it’s not just moms and dads, two in three respondents say they need a full two hours or more to wind down before they can fall asleep. Night owls are the most likely to struggle to wind down, as 53% of them say it’s an issue for them.
- 39% of those surveyed rate their sleep pattern - how often they wake up during the night, when they fall asleep and whether or not they wake up feeling rested - as below average. Only 8% rate theirs as “excellent.”
- More than a third (36%) rate their sleep routine - preparing to go to sleep, nightly routine and bedtime consistency - as below average.
- To improve their sleep, respondents are trying to make sleep routines and habits a priority in 2023, with 59% making a New Year’s resolution to improve their sleep routine.
- Things people are trying to improve their sleep routine in 2023 include practicing a regular sleep schedule (49%), going to bed earlier (43%), committing to a consistent nighttime routine (38%) and adding new vitamins and minerals to their nightly routine (24%).
Source: SWNS Digital
- If it helps us get more quality sleep, we’ll go to bed earlier, stick to a routine and take the vitamins!
- Have you started getting better sleep after changing your habits? What works for you?
- How long does it take you to wind down before bed? What’s your bedtime routine like?