The Top Food Trends Of 2020
December 04, 2020
- The Bottom Line:
- GrubHub just released their annual “Year In Food” report, analyzing millions of orders placed by more than 30 million diners on its platform
- The spicy chicken sandwich tops the list as the overall Top order of 2020, up 318%
- Acai bowl is the top breakfast food, strawberry cheesecake is the top late night snack, French fries are the top side dish and apple pie is the top dessert
- Source: Yahoo
While 2020 certainly wasn’t a typical year, it didn’t stop folks from eating. In fact, most were probably eating and ordering food in more than ever. So, what was everyone chowing down on?
- Well, GrubHub just released their annual “Year In Food” report, analyzing millions of orders placed by more than 30-million diners on its platform to see what rose in popularity.
- It seems folks still can’t get enough of the spicy chicken sandwich, which tops the list as the overall Top order of 2020, up 318% over last year.
- In fact, it was such a big deal for one person that they placed a single order of 135 chicken sandwiches.
Top Ten Foods of the Year
- Spicy chicken sandwich: 318% more popular
- Chicken burrito bowl: 299% more popular
- Chicken wings: 287% more popular
- Waffle fries: 221% more popular
- Cold brew coffee: 206% more popular
- Steak quesadilla: 164% more popular
- Iced latte: 157% more popular
- Fish and chips: 146% more popular
- Strawberry shake: 131% more popular
- Roast beef sandwich: 126% more popular
Other tidbits from the report:
- Acai bowl is the top breakfast food, up 303%.
- Strawberry Cheesecake is the top late night snack, up 303%
- French Fries are the top side dish, up 629%
- Apple Pie is the top dessert, up 330%
- Beverages also saw a huge increase, with drink orders rising 30%
- The top drink order of 2020 is the pumpkin spice latte, up 487%.
- Cocktail orders rose 300% with a Mangonada the top drink (up 278%), followd by th Pina colada (up 223%).
- Vegan and vegetarian orders only grew by 13%, with New Yorkers the most vegan-friendly.
- The most popular vegan order was a tofu spring roll, up 263% over last year.
- The most popular vegetarian order was apple pie pancakes, up 297%.